Digitalization, Artificial Intelligence and Related Technologies for Energy Efficiency and GHG Emissions Reduction in Industry
Start date 2018-11-01
End date 2019-11-30
The proposal for Task 1, Assessment Studies, of this new Annex was approved by the IETS ExCo by written procedure in October 2018. The first activity will be a webinar for interested parties/groups in November. Please contact the IETS Secretariat if you wish to participate!
Mouloud Amazouz, CanmetENERGY, Natural Resources Canada
This Annex seeks to advance knowledge and development of digitalization, artificial intelligence and related technologies to improve the economic and environmental performance of targeted energy and GHG-intensive industries. The initiative would seek to assemble a network of academic, research labs, IT providers and process industry stakeholders to cooperate on the availability, quality and use of data (quality, quantity, location, operational, energy, etc.); to align capacity; and inform decision-making relevant to the targeted sectors;
The objective of this Annex is therefore to stimulate the adoption and digitalization technologies for energy efficiency improvement and GHG emissions reduction in the process industries. To achieve this objective, the Annex sub-goals are:
- To create an international network and information infrastructure for stakeholders to exchange knowledge in the area of digitalization technologies
- To facilitate joint development of new knowledge and expertise on Digitalization
- To support and accelerate the deployment of digitalization practises in the energy-intensive process industries.
Task 1 starts in November 2018 and will be completed in November 2019.
Task Manager: Paul Stuart, Polytechnique Montréal (Canada)
Task 1: Structure and Benefits
The first step is the organization of a kick-off meeting, in which the final version of the Task 1 proposal will be adopted. The broad related areas are discussed and narrowed down, and the methodology, with an emphasis on the first task, defined in details. Groups having activities in this area and interest to join international collaboration should have been previously identified and should be attending this meeting. (Please send an email to the IETS Secretariat if you wish to participate!)
Task 1 (one year duration): This “needs and interests assessment” task will include the following work plan:
- Summary of the state-of-the-art: Digitalization, artificial intelligence and related technologies vocabulary, types of data, methods for their analysis, potential applications, an assessment of the growth drivers, barriers and needs (technology and knowledge) to adoption of digitalization, artificial intelligence and related technologies
- Overview of broad trends in industry Big Data and Data Analytics
- Survey of Big Data, Digitalization and Data Analytics centres of excellence and energy-intensive process sectors Big Data projects in participating IETS countries
- Case study reviews: Existing case studies on the use of Big Data in manufacturing plants
- Assessment of potential impact of Big Data on different process industry sectors, such as the forestry, the mining and smelting, oil and gas, energy production, and chemical and fertilizer sectors
- Identification of RD&D opportunities for strategic development of Big Data tools, methods and applications in the energy-intensive process sectors.
- Conduct a critical analysis collaboratively, and narrow to «common target area(s)» of interest by Task participants
Outcome: Establish the scope of the next Tasks based on these discussions. Future Tasks related to more defined areas of Big Data and Digitalization will be defined.
The objective of Task 1 is ambitious in the context of the very embryonic nature of digitalization, artificial intelligence and related technologies in the large emitter industrial sectors. Most researchers working in the targeted domain of the Annex are not typically affiliated with the GHG emissions reduction and/or energy analytics community. The onus will be on Task 1 members in participating countries to be effective at identifying and attracting these researchers. It is critical to succeed in Task 1 to have long-term success in the new Annex.
The main value proposal from participating in Task 1 includes:
- Familiarizing with the field of Big Data and Data Analytics broadly
- Understanding the actors and the opportunity for industry
- Becoming aware of the needs and the actions envisioned to help support energy-intensive process sectors
- Influencing the direction of future tasks in the Annex.
Participating countries in Task 1 will also have access to:
- Major conclusions on major barriers towards energy efficiency in the process industry (delivered via scientific publication on barriers and drivers)
- Summary and major findings of the Task 1 results to be freely disseminated, including recommendation for future research and developments.
- Proceedings/summaries of workshops.
- Executive project summaries presented to the IEA IETS Executive Committee.
- Newsletters presented at the IEA IETS homepage.
The deliverables for Task 1 will be the following:
- White Paper:
- Basic definitions and context of the digitalization, artificial intelligence and related technologies field pertinent to the energy-intensive process sectors
- Types of data, methods for their analysis, potential applications, an assessment of the growth drivers, barriers and needs (technology and knowledge) to adoption of digitalization, artificial intelligence and related technologies
- List of the centres of excellence in the domain for participating countries
- Identification of case studies where digitalization, artificial intelligence and related technologies are deployed
- Trends in digitalization, artificial intelligence and related technologies
- Definition of gaps and priority areas in the domain for energy-intensive processes
- Identification of potential impacts of digitalization, artificial intelligence and related technologies on targeted industrial sectors
- Identification of RD&D opportunities for strategic development of tools, methods and applications in the energy-intensive process sectors.
- Critical analysis collaboratively, and identification of «common target area(s)» of interest by Annex participants
- Proposals for future Tasks:
- The outcomes of Task 1 will highlight the needs, actions and opportunities of applying digitalization, artificial intelligence and related technologies to support energy-intensive process sectors. The white paper will help to establish the objectives, the scope and direction of future tasks in the Annex.