Electrification in Industry
Start date 2019-01-01
End date 2023-06-30
The Final Report from Subtask 1 – Mapping of activities, scoping and formulation of multiyear collaboration plan was approved by the IETS ExCo at the 32nd ExCo meeting in May 2021.
The proposal for Subtask 2 – Enabling a shared view on system aspects of industrial electrification – was approved by the IETS ExCo in January 2022.
Task Manager: Jonathan Moncada Botero, TNO, the Netherlands
Task members: Sweden, Austria, Denmark, Netherlands, Germany, France, Canada and sponsor organization from the US.
Current time frame: Jan, 2019– Dec, 2022
The objective of Subtask 2 is to build and strengthen the international ecosystem of industrial electrification with a focus on system impacts. It will facilitate exchange of knowledge and lessons learned, increase awareness and international collaboration. It also entails taking stock of technologies for electrification of industry, sharing and aligning insight and methodologies, identify best practices, broaden awareness by facilitating sharing.
- Swedish consortium (Chalmers University, KTH, RISE, Lund University)
- Austrian consortium (AEE, AIT, Energy Institute Linz, TU Wien, University Leoben
- Danish consortium (DTU Mekanik, Weel & Sandvig, Danish Technological Institute, Maagøe, PlanEnergi, Johnson Controls, SAN ElectroHeat)
- Dutch consortium (TU Delft, TNO, TKI Energie en Industrie)
- USA (NREL, United States of America)
- Germany (Institute of Low-Carbon Industrial Processes, Paderborn University, Wuppertal Institute and FFE)
- France (EDF)
- Canada (Natural Resources Canada, Government of Canada)
- UK (IFM Engage – University of Cambridge)
- Norway (Sintef)
A: Management of the Task
B: Enabling a shared view on the current status of industrial electrification
C: Enabling a shared view on the current insight & knowledge gaps of system impact
D: Establishing collaboration with other Tasks and TCPs
E: Identify the next steps for industrial electrification proposal for continuation of the Task
About the completed Subtask 1
The objectives of Subtask 1 were:
- to enhance international collaboration in the field of industrial electrification, and to set up and sustain a platform within IEA for sharing experiences and findings in R&D projects in the long term.
- to improve the awareness of the topic of industrial electrification in participating and other IETS countries in course of identifying partners in participating and other IETS countries.
- to identify and clarify areas of joint interest for further cooperation, in order to focus the subtasks and contents of a subsequent Task 2 and help to define annex and task leadership within that Task 2.
- to elaborate a basic overview on ongoing activities, roadmaps, and areas of common interest.
Task Managers: Andrea Ramirez and Jonathan Moncada Botero, TU Delft